Chimpanzee Sanctuary Fund Grant Proposal Guidance
Grant Proposal Criteria
The Chimpanzee Sanctuary Fund is currently accepting grant proposals for:
- one-year cost-of-care grants for chimpanzees currently at the Alamogordo Primate Facility and newly or soon to be (within 6 months of request) retired. Proof of commitment from current owner of chimpanzee(s) to retire chimpanzee(s) to sanctuary seeking grant will be required.
- one-per-project grants to expand sanctuaries and/or increase sanctuary capacity, to help additional chimpanzees reach sanctuary.
The following criteria are not required; however, special consideration will be given to proposed projects that:
- include plans to leverage the funds granted,
- respond to needs related to the novel coronavirus pandemic, and
- capital projects that can be completed in one year or less.
Grants will NOT be given to support:
- lobbying or political campaigns
Sanctuary Eligibility and Qualifications
Sanctuaries seeking grants from the Fund must meet the following qualifications:
- Must rescue and provide care and a lifelong home to chimpanzees who have been abused, injured, abandoned or are otherwise in need.
- Must have implemented birth control protocols to prevent chimpanzee births.
- Must be a 501(c)(3), nonprofit organization in good standing.
- Must be accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries (GFAS).
- Must obtain a USDA license and maintain required state/provincial and municipal permits and licenses.
- Must have a “whistleblower” or ethics complaint policy in effect.
- Must not engage in the commercial trade of primates.
- Must not allow primate residents to be used in entertainment.
- Must not allow unescorted public visitation.
- Must not allow direct physical contact between the public and the non-human primate residents.
- Must not accept more primates than can be responsibly cared for without exceeding the available financial resources.
- Must not participate in research unless the studies directly benefit nonhuman primates, are observational or do not require anesthetic events in addition to health checks, and do not interfere with the normal daily activities of individual primates.
- Must not allow primates to be removed from the property for purposes of fundraising, exhibition, education, or research.
Grant Numbers and Amounts
One-year cost-of-care grants are expected to range from $80,000 – $120,000 to help groups of chimps move from the Alamogordo Primate Facility to sanctuary.
Matching project grants of up to $5,000 per project.
However, grant amounts outside of this range may be considered depending on the merits of the proposal and potential for impact.
A sanctuary may apply for more than one grant.
Grant period is one year. However, proposals with shorter or longer grant periods as well as time period extensions to existing grants may be considered.
- Complete and submit the Cover Page and Brief Narrative (links below).
- Fund Advisors review initial forms and determine whether to invite Full Proposal from potential grantee.
- Once invited, potential grantee completes and submits Full Proposal.
- Full Proposal considered by the Fund Advisors and New Mexico Community Foundation; grant awards determined.
- Grantee notified of decision to award grant.
- Grantee receives award.
- Grantee submits a brief interim report every 6 months during the grant period. Grantee provides photos and video updates to Fund to show impact of grant as they are available.
- Within 1 month of completing the grant period, grantee submits a final grant report.
If you have any questions about the grant process, please contact us here.
Sanctuaries interested in applying for grants, please download forms below and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These forms work best with Google Chrome web browser. If you are having trouble completing the forms, click the “download” icon at the top right of your screen and save to your desktop. Then, open the form using an Adobe program (Acrobat, Reader, Pro). From the File menu, choose “Save a Copy” (Save As will not work), and complete the fillable boxes.
Join us in making a real difference for chimpanzees in need.
Please donate today.